If Hurricane Katrina causing the levees to break in New Orleans is the only thing you know about Louisiana , here are a few more interesting facts about the Bayou State:
* Louisiana has the tallest state capitol building in the nation at 450 feet.
* The Louisiana SuperDome in New Orleans is the largest enclosed stadium in the world.
* Baton Rouge was the site of the only American Revolution battle outside the original 13 colonies.
* Louisiana produces 24 percent of the nation's salt, the most in America .* Much of the world's food, coffee and oil pass through the Port of New Orleans .
* Tabasco , a Louisiana product, holds the second oldest food trademark in the U.S. Patent Office.
* The International Joke Telling Contest is held annually in Opelousas , Louisiana.
* LSU (The Ole War Skule) in Baton Rouge has the distinction of contributing the most officers to WW II after the U.S. Military academies.
* The game of craps was invented in New Orleans in 1813 as betting was a common activity on the wharves.
* When states had their own currency, the Louisiana Dix (French for ten) was a favored currency for trade. English speakers called them Dixies and coined the term Dixieland.
TINGS I LURNT WILE LIVIN IN DAT LUSANA
1. Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air. If you can get too them fast enouf, it's road kill.
2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in LOUISIANA
3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in LOUISIANA plus a couple no one 's seen before.
4. If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.
5. Onced and twiced are words.
6. It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy.
7. Fire ants consider your flesh as a picnic
8. People actually grow and eat okra.
9. Fix & into is one word: FIXINTO
10. There is no such thing as 'lunch'. There is only dinner and then there is supper.
11. Ice tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar!
12. Backards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.'
13. Jeet? Is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?'
14. You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you're done or it's too dark to see.
15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them. (YEP)
2. You've ever had to switch from 'heat' to 'A/C' in the same day. (Just done this a few days ago.)
3. You use 'fix' as a verb. Example: 'I'm fixing to go to the store '
4. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.
5. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
6. You know what a 'DAWG' is.
7. You carry jumper cables in your car...for your OWN car.
8. You only own five spices: Tony's (Chachere?), salt, pepper, Tabasco and ketchup. By the way, Tabasco & Tony's are both made in Lousiana.
9. The local papers cover national and international news on one page but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports.
10. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
11. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit 'a little warm'.
12. You know all four seasons: Deer Season, Duck Season, Crawfish Season, Summer.
13. You know whether another LOUISIANIAN is from, north or south, as soon as they start talkin' (speaking).
14. Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as 'goin Wal-martin' or 'off to Wally World'?
15. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good gumbo weather. YEP, that's right.
16. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop...it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor.
Example: 'What kinda coke you want?'
17. Fried catfish is the other white meat.
18. We don't need no stinking driver's Ed ....if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.
19. You understand these jokes and forward them to your friends from LOUISIANA (and those who just wish they were).